Master chef, skilled potter, and longstanding Yogaville community member, Karuna Marcotte regularly graces the local Mandala Cafe with her delectable pastries. Today she shares her recipe for an Ashram favorite, the delicious dessert duo of apple pie and chai. This vegan and gluten-free recipe combo includes the ingredients and steps for making an entirely homemade apple pie and accompanying chai tea.
- 1 1/4 cups of all-purpose gluten-free flour (add 1 teaspoon of Xanthum Gum)
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of chilled and diced butter (recommended vegan substitute: Earthbalance)
- 1/4 cup of ice water
In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water, a tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Roll dough out to fit a 9-inch pie plate. Place crust in pie plate. Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate.
- 2/3 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons of gluten-free flour
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of each: cloves, salt, and nutmeg
- 1/3 cup chopped nuts
Combine 2/3 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons of flour, the spices, and salt. Toss together with diced apples until well mixed. Spoon mixture into pie shell. Bake in pre-heated 400°F oven for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, blend 3/4 cup of flour with the brown sugar until well blended. Cut in butter until the mixture looks like a coarse meal. Stir in nuts. Take the pie from the oven and sprinkle with butter-sugar mixture. Return to oven and continue baking 30-35 minutes, or until browned and apples are tender.
For 6 servings:
- 6 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of whole black peppercorns
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon of cardamom pods
- 3″ ginger root
- 10 whole cloves
- 7 heaping tablespoons of loose black tea
- (add to taste) milk and sugar
Boil the water and add the black peppercorns, cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods, ginger root, and cloves. Bring to a simmer for 30 minutes and then turn flame off. Add the loose black tea, cover and steep 4-5 minutes. Add sugar and milk to taste. Heat to just boiling.