‘The first lesson to be learned from Yoga is to lead a dedicated life. If you are dedicated in life, you will always be peaceful and joyful.” – Sri Swami Satchidananda, founder of Satchidananda Ashram–Yogaville
Sections A and B define behavioral guidelines that support our spiritual growth and living harmoniously together. Section C describes our commitment to a safe and supportive environment that honors diversity and equity. Section D describes the reporting and resolution process if any problem should arise.
Section A: Statement of Purpose
Our Mission is to practice, live and impart the Integral Yoga teachings of Sri Swami Satchidananda to experience supreme peace and joy, and to share that peace and joy with one and all.
Satchidananda Ashram–Yogaville provides a supportive and peaceful environment for all those who wish to study and practice the Integral Yoga teachings of Sri Swami Satchidananda. We are committed to maintaining a safe environment to support the spiritual life and well-being of all who come to live, work, serve, or participate in our programs. Toward that end, we have a Code of Conduct, as well as related documents for Ashram staff, residents, guests, and Integral Yoga teachers, based on their specific roles at the Ashram. Our aim is to live easeful, peaceful, useful lives and, ultimately, to experience the highest spiritual realization. The Goal of Integral Yoga provides a template to guide us in that endeavor.
Section B: The Goal of Integral Yoga: Explanation and Application
The Goal of Integral Yoga, and the birthright of every individual, is to realize the spiritual unity behind all the diversities in the entire creation and to live harmoniously as members of one universal family. This goal is achieved by maintaining our natural condition of: a body of optimum health and strength, senses under total control, a mind well-disciplined, clear and calm, an intellect as sharp as a razor, a will as strong and pliable as steel, a heart full of unconditional love and compassion, an ego as pure as crystal, and a life filled with supreme peace and joy.
What follows is a point-by-point examination of the Goal.
The goal of Integral Yoga, and the birthright of every individual, is to realize the spiritual unity behind all the diversities in the entire creation and to live harmoniously as members of one universal family.
We are all united as members of one universal family inclusive of all people across race, color, faith, gender identity, national origin, disability, age and sexual orientation. With the motto “Truth is One, paths are many” we recognize the rich diversity in the world’s faith and spiritual traditions, as expressed in the Light Of Truth Universal Shrine (LOTUS). We appreciate the uniqueness of each person and respect each other’s approach to the Divine. All the life forms of the entire creation – animals, plants, and the elements – form an integral part of the Cosmic Balance. By uniting with our inner peace and reaching out in service to others and the environment, we contribute to world peace and harmony.
The Goal of Integral Yoga is achieved by maintaining our natural condition of:
- A Body of optimum health and strength
- We practice Hatha Yoga, steady comfortable poses, in accordance with one’s capacity and strength; we gain mastery over the breath and strengthen the lungs through the practice of pranayama.
- We are expected to follow a vegetarian diet, refraining from eating meat, poultry, fish and eggs. At the Ashram, we have limited dairy products available, used mainly to add to our food or beverages.
- We are expected to refrain from the use of alcoholic beverages, tobacco products and recreational drugs; as well as only using prescription and over-the-counter medications within prescribed guidelines.
- Senses under total control
- We strive to select what is taken in through our eyes and ears so as to uplift the mind, avoiding violent and sexually explicit media.
- We are expected to refrain from unwanted or inappropriate touching towards others (with or without a sexual motive).
- We endeavor to control the tongue to be satisfied with food nourishing to the body, enjoyed at the right times and in the right amounts.
- A Mind well-disciplined, clear and calm
- Through Raja Yoga, we aspire to maintain mental and emotional balance, aided by the practice of yama and niyama, the ethical foundation of Integral Yoga, as presented in the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali.
- We strive to develop a regular meditation practice to clear and calm the mind through mantra repetition or other means; keeping a meditative frame of mind throughout the day.
- We endeavor to replace negative thinking with positive thoughts, words and deeds; refraining from undo judging of others.
- Intellect as sharp as a razor
- Through Jnana Yoga, we seek to analyze our thoughts and behavior with the goal of self-improvement and cultivating harmonious relations with others.
- We study scriptures, spiritual books and other sources for education, inspiration and guidance.
- A Will as strong and pliable as steel
- We are expected to commit to ethical behavior such as refraining from lying, stealing and harming others.
- We strive to develop the will to be pliable in considering the viewpoints of others, and to be open to change as life’s’ circumstances evolve.
- A Heart full of unconditional love and compassion
- Through Bhakti Yoga, we seek to purify our hearts through prayer and worship of the Divine.
- We endeavor to express our love through steadfast support and respect for people of all races, faiths and gender identities.
- We strive to commit to compassionate communications – honest, open, and clear; bringing up important topics or issues with consideration of time, place and those involved.
- We are expected to use respectful language and gestures, in person and online, free from profanity, prejudice, insults, intimidation, threats, and abusive or sexually offensive language.
- We are expected to treat the environment, property and objects respectfully.
- An Ego as pure as crystal
- We strive to tone down the “I. me, mine” mentality and think of others first.
- We aspire to honor the True Self in one another and to have our thoughts, words, and deeds in alignment.
- We are expected to observe integrity in our relationships, keeping commitments made to others.
- We are expected to keep confidentiality as requested in pertinent matters.
- A Life filled with Supreme Peace and Joy
- We realize that Supreme Peace and Joy come from a life of dedication.
- We take advantage of opportunities to serve and collaborate with others.
- Through Karma Yoga, we strive to serve with complete focus and joy.
- We endeavor to develop an attitude of gratitude.
Section C: Ensuring Non-Discrimination and Non-Harassment at the Ashram
Ashram leadership does it’s best to ensure that all those visiting, serving, teaching, or living at the Ashram are able to enjoy an atmosphere free from sexual or other inappropriate conduct, harassment and retaliation. A safe, supportive environment is further ensured by all striving, day by day, to follow the Goal of Integral Yoga. The Ashram is committed to maintaining a space that honors diversity and equity. We refrain from discrimination and harassment based on race, color, faith, sex, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, or status in any group protected by law. We do so in compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
Unwanted physical contact (with or without a sexual motive), sexual advances, and other inappropriate behavior or harassment of a sexual or aggressive nature are unacceptable, against the expected behavior required at the Ashram.
Section D: Reporting and Resolution Process at the Ashram
If you believe you have witnessed or been subjected to inappropriate or unwanted behavior, sexual or other harassment, or discrimination, that has not been adequately resolved, please notify the Ashram’s Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org. Anyone may initiate the reporting process. Immediate reporting, with pertinent details, is advised.
Our complaint and grievance process provides that complaints be promptly and impartially investigated in a compassionate and professional way. If the unwanted behavior is confirmed in the investigation, prompt and effective action will be taken to remedy the situation. The complainant will be assured that an environment free from harassment has been restored and that there will be no retaliation of any kind toward anyone who has participated in the process.