The goal of the farm intern program is to create a joyful spiritually uplifting environment and experience for the people who serve at the farm and to understand and serve the plants we grow through awareness and prayer. We deliver a steady stream of fresh picked organic veggies to the Ashram Kitchen.
Our six-acre, fenced farm contains one well-equipped greenhouse and two hoop houses for growing crops in early spring and winter.
Water from a spring-fed pond located along the banks of the James River irrigates these fields. Interns are needed during the regular planting and growing season from March through November.
- Getting acquainted with farming basics such as crop planning, seed starting, transplanting, soil preparation, irrigation techniques, handling row covers, trellising, and insect control techniques
- Hands-on work, such as weeding, mulching, composting, harvesting crops
- Working in the herb and flower garden
- Maintaining farm equipment and facilities
- Coordinating the Yogaville Farmer’s Market
- Visits to other farms and weekly outings (eg: the Richmond Botanical Gardens, the Monticello garden, and Luray Caverns)
- Successful completion of at least one month of the Living Yoga Training (LYT) Program, with the recommendation of the LYT Coordinator; one of the Ashram’s Integral Yoga Teacher Training programs, with the recommendation of the main Yoga Teacher Training Instructor; or the Ashram Yogi Program.
- A commitment to serve three (3) consecutive months, with a monthly review, renewable with the approval of the Residential Services Supervisor.
- A commitment to live in harmony with the Yogaville community and to conform to the Integral Yoga Lifestyle Principles is part of this Program.
- Physical demands of the farm require that applicants be able to lift 35 lbs comfortably and work in 3-hour shifts
For financial information, please visit the Financial Options for Ashram Yogi & Internship Programs webpage.
For more information contact the Resident Services department
1-434-969-3121, ext. 176