Living Yoga Training – DRESS CODE
In general, members and guests are advised to wear clean, loose-fitting, modest clothing. Please wear:
- Dressier clothes for Satsangs and special programs (people wear white often, but it is not required)
- Respectful attire at Ashram shrines
- Appropriate underwear with garments
- Men must wear shirts
Please refrain from wearing:
- Shorts & Jeans – During special programs, Satsang or meditations (unless covered by a wrap) at the following locations:
- LOTUS (Light Of Truth Universal Shrine
- Chidambaram Mahasamadhi Shrine
- Guru Bhavan Meditation Hall
- Tight pants or tops, low-cut tops, halters, thin straps, or mid-riff-revealing clothes
- Short shorts, low-rise pants or mini-skirts
- Unclean or ragged clothing
“My experiences have made me question what an easeful, peaceful, and useful life requires me to do. I now have a flavor of what living like a Yogi entails. I feel I have begun to feel the benefits of this place that does all it can to help me ‘live the way.’ Reducing distractions, being in good company, following a routine of practice with established guidance has been key to my learning.” Andrew S.
WHAT TO BRING
PLEASE BRING – All your personal items:
- Alarm clock
- Bathing suit and beach towel for swimming
- Earphones – if bringing a tape or CD player. (Please limit to tapes or CD’s that are uplifting and support your inner spiritual journey.) NOTE: here are no headphones to be worn during SEVA at any time.
- Hats – to protect against summer sun or to keep the head warm in the winter
- Hatha Clothes – loose, comfortable & modest
- Hatha Mat – or a large towel – for classes
- Toiletries (soap, shampoo, dental items etc.)
- Satsang Clothes – Dressier, more formal clothing. (Many wear white but it is not required).
- Slip on shoes – such as clogs, mules or sandals because we do not wear shoes indoors. Please bring closed-toe shoes and a hat or scarf for serving in the kitchen.
- Slippers for indoor use only in Sivananda Hall & Dorms, only if you prefer.
PLEASE DO NOT BRING:
- Alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco. (Abstention from alcohol, illegal drugs, and tobacco applies on and off grounds during your participation in the LYT program.)
- Projects or anything that may draw your attention away from your inner journey.
- Any more than is needed for a month’s stay. Space is limited and rooms must be kept clean and neat. Storage space is limited to the overhead bunk, dresser and closet area.
Thank you for your cooperation in helping to maintain a yogic environment here at the Ashram.