The mission of the Ashram Yogi Program is to support participants as they go deeper into the teachings and practices of Integral Yoga. Through daily sadhana (spiritual practice), weekly classes, and Karma Yoga selfless service, Ashram Yogis work toward developing an easeful body and a peaceful mind.
The Ashram Yogi Program is open to those who have served as Living Yoga Trainees (LYT), with the recommendation of the LYT Coordinator, and to graduates of one of the Ashram’s Integral Yoga Teacher Training programs.
- Group Meditation ~ 8 sessions per week
- Hatha Yoga ~ 3 classes per week
- Karma Yoga ~ 24, 31, or 38 hours of service, including two kitchen cleanups each week.
Weekly Classes & Meetings:
- Spiritual Studies Class ~ Spiritual Studies classes touch upon on a variety of subjects, including Yoga philosophy, Integral Yoga teachings and practices, sacred texts, and interfaith discussions.
- Ashram Yogi Meeting & Sharing Circle ~ The Circle provides an opportunity to share challenges and experiences.
- Satsang (spiritual gathering) ~ The Ashram community gathers for Saturday evening Satsang – a program that includes kirtan (chanting), a video excerpt from one of Swami Satchidananda’s talks, and guest speakers.
Ashram Yogis commit to serving for three (3) consecutive months, with a monthly review, renewable with the approval of the Residential Services department. They may choose to be General Ashram Yogis, serving wherever they are most needed, or they may apply to either the Vegetarian Cooking Internship or the Organic Farming Internship. Once accepted into either the Vegetarian Cooking Internship or Organic Farming Internship, interns are considered Ashram Yogis specializing in a particular ashram department.
- Vegetarian Cooking Internship trains participants in vegetarian culinary art. Participants will learn vegetarian nutrition, bread making, cooking skills, ethnic cuisines, kitchen safety, and much more.
- Organic Farming Internship provides participants a place to explore their interest in organic/sustainable agriculture through hands on experience while learning about Integral Yoga practices and principles.
Sample Schedule (may vary depending on ashram activities):
5:00 – 6:15 AM Meditation
6:20 – 7:50 AM Hatha Yoga class
8:00 – 8:30 AM Breakfast
8:30 – 11:45 AM Morning service shift
12:00 – 12:30 PM Silent Meditation at LOTUS
12:45 – 1:30 PM Lunch
1:30 – 4:45 PM Afternoon service shift
5:00 – 6:30 PM Hatha Yoga/Meditation
6:45 – 7:30 PM Dinner
7:30 – 9:00 PM Evening service shift and programs