Yoga Therapy in Cancer and Chronic Illness – Level 1: YCat
with Sandra Susheela Gilbert, C-IAYT, E-RYT 500, B.A. and Senior YCat Intern Teachers
April 27 - May 6, 2018
The training is designed to enable them to work safely with people facing:
- Cancer at any stage of illness
- Common chronic illnesses
- End of life
Many YCat Yoga therapists are working in medical settings around the country, including outpatient clinics and infusion centers and inpatient units like bone marrow transplant units. Other YCat therapists become valuable team members in wellness centers, in Yoga studios, and in private practice.
The intensive ten-day YCat program provides 90 Yoga Alliance hours and includes some pre-program preparation and reading assignments. The program provides medical and scientific rationales for each aspect of the curriculum and is research and evidence-based. Simultaneously, it is also rich in Swami Satchidananda’s interpretation of the Yoga Sutras with respect to how the teachings of the Sutras can help you and your clients gain control of the mind and the senses when dealing with pain and suffering, illness and disease, life and death, and daily moment-to-moment challenges.
Topics include aspects of:
- Biology, physiology, and pathophysiology of cancer
- Common chronic illnesses
- Health-supporting adaptations in movement, breathing, imagery, relaxation, meditation, chanting, and other valuable Yoga practices
Certificates of training are awarded upon completion of all three levels to Yoga teachers who already hold a 200-hour Yoga teacher training certificate. Health professionals will receive certificates of attendance until they complete a 200-hour Yoga teacher training program. Contact [email protected] to learn more about YCat Levels 2 and 3.
- Either a 200-hr Yoga teacher training certification…
- …or any licensed health professional (LHP) is welcome to attend all levels of the YCat training. LHPs will receive a certificate of attendance. To receive the training certification, LHPs will need to obtain a 200-hour Yoga training certificate.
- Yoga Alliance (YA): Approximately 90 training hours
- Integral Yoga Teachers Association (IYTA) can provide you a CE certificate of your program’s total contact hours. For more information, email [email protected].
I can’t thank you enough for how your healing energies empowered me through surgeries. — Past Participant
Complementary therapies can make colorectal cancer, its symptoms, and its treatments and side effects more tolerable—and possibly even bolster the immune system for better recovery and healing. — Dr. Mark Pochapin, Director of the Jay Monahan Center for Gastrointestinal Health at New York Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center
Sandra Susheela is the most senior YCat Yoga Therapy faculty member and is the senior trainer and qualifier for the full 300-hour YCat all levels training. Sandra is a highly recognized Integral Yoga teacher holding advanced training certificates in Stress Management, Integrative, and Mind-Body Therapies and Patient Navigation. Sandra has mentored and taught alongside YCat founder Jnani Chapman for the past 12 years and is committed to taking her YCat Yoga Therapy program forward since her passing in December. Sandra was a Yoga teacher and stress management educator as well as a group support facilitator for Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehabilitation at…
Learn more about Sandra Susheela Gilbert, C-IAYT, E-RYT 500, B.A.