Therapeutic Medical Yoga: Learn and Restore
with Amrita Sandra McLanahan, M.D., Dilip Sarkar, M.D., FACS, CAP, C-IAYT and M. Mala Cunningham, C-IAYT, Ph.D.
October 13 - 15, 2017
This course will introduce health professionals to a bio-psycho-social-spiritual model of care for patients. Explore the field of mind-body medicine and medical Yoga through mindfulness meditation, stress management, guided imagery, and breathing strategies.
Learn how to assist patients in decreasing the stress response and how to use Yoga to improve flexibility, balance, and exercise capacity for patients. This workshop will introduce you to the clinical applications of medical Yoga and the philosophical basis of health promotion and disease management from this model.
Course objectives include:
- An overview of Neuroscience and Mind-Body Medicine
- An understanding of the role of emotions and psychophysiological stress and on health and disease
- A review of the theory and clinical application of medical Yoga
- An understanding of how to implement Yoga-based clinical interventions
- Didactic and experiential activities in medical Yoga
This workshop is designed for both healthcare and allied health professionals to allow them to experience and learn about the benefits of Therapeutic Medical Yoga.
Continuing Education Opportunities
- Yoga Alliance (YA): Approximately 12 contact hours
- Healthcare and Related Disciplines: Although CMEs are not offered, a certificate documenting CE hours may be available for your discipline. Please contact CEU@iyta.org for details.
Dr. Amrita is my FAVORITE presenter… She is SO full of knowledge and understanding. I could listen to her for hours and hours!! Her sense of humor is a bonus!! — Gigi
Mala was a wonderful, open, sharing soul. Thank you. — Shannon Krammes