Click Here to apply for the Living Yoga Training Program
Greetings of peace from the Living Yoga Training program of Satchidananda Ashram – Yogaville®, located in a secluded and peaceful setting, bordering the James River and surrounded by the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
Yoga teaches that “Peace and Joy are our true nature.” The Living Yoga Training (LYT) program provides the opportunity to experience this Peace and Joy. If you are prepared to immerse yourself in the teachings of Integral Yoga, this is the program for you.
“This LYT Program has been a wonderful, life changing experience. I feel that my connection with my inner peace and joy has deepened, and that I have developed skills that I can carry with me into the world and use in my daily life.” Turi H.
This training is for sincere, dedicated people who wish to live in a Yoga community for at least one month, with the intention of deepening their spiritual, mental, emotional and physical well being, while learning to live harmoniously with others.
We aim to offer a balanced program of:
- Spiritual practices
- Enjoyment of the Ashram’s serene, rural setting
The LYT program provides you with an opportunity to grow spiritually through Karma Yoga, Hatha Yoga, meditation, and satsang (spiritual gatherings). These practices, along with the yogic lifestyle, offer you the opportunity to gain clarity of vision and purpose. As an integral part of the Ashram, you will serve alongside like-minded spiritual seekers, forming new friendships and experiencing the unique environment of Satchidananda Ashram – Yogaville.
During your month long stay you will have the chance to develop a steady practice which can be integrated into your daily life. If you are a keen student, this program can be a life transforming experience.
This dynamic program translates the timeless wisdom of Yoga into practical, everyday reality. Under the guidance and with the support of senior disciples and experienced teachers, the LYT program combines spiritual practices and daily activities of service. The program includes:
- Karma Yoga: the path of selfless service. Karma Yogis perform duties without attachment to the fruits of their actions. Living Yoga Trainees (LYTs) generally begin their practice of selfless service in the kitchen, the heart of the Ashram. Other service areas include housekeeping, and landscaping. The gift is that we experience peace of mind and everything in our lives becomes a worship service.
- Hatha Yoga: daily classes of asanas (physical postures) to develop a healthier, stronger and more balanced body and mind, pranayama (breathing techniques) to purify and revitalize the entire system, and yoga nidra (deep relaxation) for total relaxation of body and mind.
- Raja Yoga: the path of concentration and meditation. Three daily meditations enable you to establish a habit of regular sadhana (spiritual practice), leading to mastery over the mind and, ultimately, to the realization of your true nature.
- Bhakti Yoga: the path of love and devotion, including kirtan (chanting) and puja (devotional practices), as well as ecumenical and spiritual gatherings
- Jnana Yoga: the path of wisdom. Yoga scripture classes are taught with insight and sensitivity by senior disciples.
- Weekly satsang: a gathering of seekers of the truth-including kirtan, a video of Swami Satchidananda, and a presentation on a multitude of yogic topics.
- Vegetarian Diet: A wholesome, balanced vegetarian diet – including organically grown produce
- Time for recreational activities – for example, laughing meditation, volleyball, and hiking in the woods
- Sharing and friendship with other LYTs and with the larger Satchidananda Ashram – Yogaville community.
“The meditation and pranayama have helped me to become more peaceful. I’ve certainly expanded my knowledge of the asanas through Yoga and have consequently become more easeful, and certainly more present and aware of my body. I’ve also learned culinary skills by serving in the kitchen. I am looking forward to implementing what I learned into my daily life back home.” Hannah E.
The LYT program requires a one-month stay. Tuition is $500 for the first month.
PREVIOUS GUEST STAY REQUIRED FOR LYT PROGRAM
If you have never stayed at Yogaville, it will be necessary to attend a Welcome Weekend. Upon acceptance into the LYT Program, the LYT office will make the Welcome Weekend reservation for you. Upon completion of the Welcome Weekend, you will receive a discount on your LYT Tuition.
Financial Arrangements for the LYT Program
Welcome Weekend Guest Stay: $170. ($42.00 of this fee will be credited toward your LYT tuition, unless a 10% discount was recieved). A Welcome Weekend visit consists of a 2-night guest stay including room, food, classes and programs.
Living Yoga Training Fees:
- LYT Application: $25.00 (non refundable, non transferable).
- LYT Tuition: $500. (Monthly fee required)
- LYT Deposit: $100.00 (non refundable deposit applied toward tuition after acceptance into the program)
- LYT Discounts ~10% for students, seniors, military, and residents of other countries.
Satchidananda Ashram-Yogaville was founded by Sri Swami Satchidananda (Sri Gurudev), an esteemed spiritual leader whose message of peace has been heard around the globe. Honored with the Albert Schweitzer Humanitarian Award, Sri Gurudev dedicated his life to the cause of peace – both individual and universal – and to religious harmony among all people. His teachings are the Ashram’s guiding principles.
In August 2002, Sri Gurudev entered Mahasamadhi (a God-realized soul’s final exit from the body).
The teachings and practices of Integral Yoga®, as taught by Sri Swami Satchidananda, integrate the various branches of Yoga in order to help one find inner peace and joy. These teachings are the foundation of Dr. Dean Ornish’s work in reversing heart disease at the Preventive Medicine Research Institute and Dr. Michael Lerner’s notable work with cancer patients at the Commonweal Cancer Help program.
Sri Swami Satchidananda authored many books, among them: Integral Yoga Hatha, To Know Your Self,The Living Gita, The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, and The Golden Present. He is the subject of two biographies, Sri Swami Satchidananda – Apostle of Peace and Portrait of a Modern Sage, and the film“Living Yoga.”
Satchidananda Ashram-Yogaville is designed to serve as a model of how individuals can live and work together in harmony. Its philosophy and lifestyle are based on the principles of truth, non-violence, spirit of dedication, and universal brotherhood. Residents include both single people and families; some have chosen to make a formal commitment as monastics or ministers. We welcome all sincere seekers who wish to learn and grow spiritually and who would like to participate in Ashram life, and we invite you to apply to our Living Yoga Training program.
“The LYT Program was wonderful. It helped me realize that all paths are different, and that is OK. As long as I stick to something, some practice, I’m well on my way.” Arrie T.
Nestled in a valley near the foothills of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains, Satchidananda Ashram-Yogaville is located in Central Virginia. We can arrange to meet you at the airport, the train station or the bus stations in Charlottesville, VA (a one-hour drive). Please check the bus times before making your reservations. For driving directions and more detailed travel and/or transportation information please click here.
Our modern, air-conditioned dormitories are convenient to all activities. Rooms accommodate a maximum of two to three people (no single rooms are available). We are unable to accommodate children or pets of LYTs. Facilities within a few minutes walk from the dormitories include a meditation hall, library, dining hall, classrooms, laundry room, and a book and gift shop.
Modest dress is required of all guests and residents. While long shorts are appropriate for outdoors, they are not worn in our meditation halls, at LOTUS, or during evening programs. Please bring clothing for Hatha Yoga, outdoor work, recreation, and rainy weather. Read more…
No meat, poultry, fish or eggs are permitted at the Ashram.
Also, please do not bring alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco or pets. Read more…
Additional Transportation Fees
In cases where a Living Yoga Trainee is in need of transportation to a medical facility there will be $90.00 fee applied to their account balance. This fee covers travel both to and from the facility.
If a person should leave the LYT Program early, for any reason, there will be a, one-way, $45 transportation fee applied.
We warmly invite you to join us for a month or longer, so that you can take full advantage of this hands-on Yoga training program.
For more information, please contact Swami Arivananda:
Phone: (434) 969-3121 ext 117.
2016 LYT Program Entry Times Calendar:
|Welcome Weekend||1st Day as a LYT||Orientation||Last Day as LYT|
2017 LYT Program Entry Times Calendar:
|Welcome Weekend||1st Day as a LYT||Orientation||Last Day as LYT|
|30 June- July 1||2-Jul||3-Jul||1-Aug|