Click Here to apply for the Ashram Yogi Program!
The mission of the Ashram Yogi Program is to support participants as they go deeper into the teachings and practices of Integral Yoga. Through sadhana (spiritual practice), svadhyaya (study of sacred texts), and Karma Yoga (selfless service), Ashram Yogis maintain a more easeful body, peaceful mind, and useful life.
The Ashram Yogi Program is open to those who have served for at least one month in the Living Yoga Training (LYT) Program, with the recommendation of the LYT Coordinator, and to graduates of one of the Ashram’s Integral Yoga Teacher Training programs, with the recommendation of the main Yoga Teacher Training Instructor.
Weekly Classes & Meetings:
- Spiritual Studies Class ~ Spiritual Studies classes touch upon on a variety of subjects, including Yoga philosophy, Integral Yoga teachings and practices, sacred texts, and interfaith discussions.
- Ashram Yogi Meeting & Sharing Circle ~ The Circle provides an opportunity to share challenges and experiences.
- Satsang (gathering of spiritual seekers) ~ The Ashram community gathers for Saturday evening Satsang – a program that includes kirtan (chanting), a video excerpt from one of Swami Satchidananda’s talks, and guest speakers.
- Group Meditation ~ 10 sessions per week
- Hatha Yoga ~ 5 sessions per week, including at least 3 Integral Yoga classes
- Karma Yoga ~ 24, 31, or 38 hours of service, including two kitchen cleanups each week
- Evening Programs/Classes/Special events ~ 2 per week, including Satsang
Ashram Yogis commit to serving for three (3) consecutive months, with a monthly review, renewable with the approval of the Residential Services department. They may choose to be General Ashram Yogis, serving wherever they are most needed, or they may apply to either the Vegetarian Cooking Internship or the Organic Farming Internship. Once accepted into either the Vegetarian Cooking Internship or Organic Farming Internship, interns are considered Ashram Yogis specializing in a particular ashram department.
- Vegetarian Cooking Internship trains participants in vegetarian culinary art. Participants will learn vegetarian nutrition, bread making, cooking skills, ethnic cuisines, kitchen safety, and much more.
- Organic Farming Internship provides participants a place to explore their interest in organic/sustainable agriculture through hands on experience while learning about Integral Yoga practices and principles.
Sample Schedule (may vary depending on ashram activities):
5:00 – 6:15 AM Meditation
6:20 – 7:50 AM Hatha Yoga class
8:00 – 8:30 AM Breakfast
8:30 – 11:45 AM Morning service shift
12:00 – 12:30 PM Silent Meditation at LOTUS
12:45 – 1:30 PM Lunch
1:30 – 4:45 PM Afternoon service shift
5:00 – 6:30 PM Hatha Yoga/Meditation
6:45 – 7:30 PM Dinner
7:30 – 9:00 PM Evening service shift and programs
For financial information, please visit Ashram Yogi & Internship Programs’ Finances.
For more information or if you have any questions, contact the Resident Services department at
1-434-969-3121, ext. 176 or email us at email@example.com.