Yoga for Arthritis Teachers Intensive – Level 1
with Steffany Moonaz, MFA, RYT 500, Ph.D.
March 27 - 31, 2020
Over 20% of US adults are living with arthritis, and 78 million people will be impacted by 2040. It is vital that Yoga professionals learn the tools and skills to work with this underserved and growing population. Discover how to safely and effectively teach Yoga with individually-tailored practices to people with arthritis in this Teachers Intensive. Steffany Moonaz, Ph.D., C-IAYT has designed a training that combines contemporary scientific rigor, Yoga philosophy, and heart.
In this workshop, you will learn:
- Arthritis basics, joint anatomy, and the Yoga for Arthritis protocol
- Asana adaptations for a limited range of motion and pain
- The effect of arthritis on all koshas and the mechanisms for Yoga’s impact
Yoga for Arthritis was developed by Dr. Moonaz based on her experience conducting clinical research with interdisciplinary medical teams at Johns Hopkins University, National Institutes of Health and several New York City hospitals.
The pre-course reading will be emailed before the training.
After completing this Level 1 training, you are qualified to teach the evidence-informed Yoga for Arthritis program that was developed using more than a decade of research by Dr. Steffany Moonaz.
You will be eligible to continue toward Yoga for Arthritis certification, which includes Level 2 mentorship and Level 3 training.
Level 1 Prerequisite
A 200-hour Yoga Teacher certification.
Continuing Education (CE) Opportunities
- Yoga Alliance (YA): Approximately 30 contact hours, 4 non-contact hours. You can input your contact hours using your YA login information.
- Integral Yoga Teachers Association (IYTA) can provide you a CE certificate with your program’s total contact hours for a $10 fee (free for IYTA members.) For more information, email [email protected].
- Integral Yoga 300-hour: 34 hours towards RYT 500 designation
- Yoga Therapy: This is one of the elective modules to become certified as an Integral Yoga Therapist
This is an amazing training. It provides you with the tools to make your classes safer and more accessible to a greater number of people. — Christa Fairbrother
I loved the sharing and freedom of exchange of ideas and the “how to.” The openness of discussion was most beneficial. I can’t wait for my next YFA class and to use the teaching points I learned. — Judy M. Layne-Wood
Steffany is a Yoga therapist and researcher specializing in rheumatic diseases. She currently serves as Assistant Director of Academic Research M.S. in Yoga therapy. She received her 200-hour Yoga teacher training at Satchidananda Ashram–Yogaville in 2003 and her 500-hour training from Yama Therapeutics. Steffany spent seven years at Johns Hopkins University, developing and evaluating a Yoga program for individuals with rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis, which has been replicated in collaboration with the National Institutes of Health. She is the founder of Yoga for Arthritis, an organization bringing evidence-informed Yoga programs to people, nationwide, with arthritis, as well as educating Yoga…
Learn more about Steffany Moonaz, MFA, RYT 500, Ph.D.