Jackfruit is the fruit of all trades! You can enjoy it when it is ripe and sweet or when it’s unripe, green, and savory. It’s texture is almost identical to chicken, which makes it an incredible meat substitute. Trying to convert your loved ones to a healthy plant-based diet? This simple recipe will have all of your carnivorous friends fooled!
- 2 20oz cans green jackfruit in brine, drained, rinsed, and chopped (see instructions)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- A splash of orange juice
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- Use your hands to break the jackfruit apart. Don’t throw away the core or the seeds, they are edible. When you are done, it will look like you have a bowl full of shredded chicken.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until the onions are translucent (about five minutes).
- Add the shredded jackfruit, water, orange juice, lime juice and all the spices to the pot. Reduce heat and let it simmer until the jackfruit softens slightly, and about 1/2 of the liquid is absorbed (about five minutes).
- Continue to stir the taco mixture. If you find it too dry, add more water.
- Add more seasonings to taste
To assemble the tacos
- Warm the taco shells according to the package directions. When warmed, add a scoop of jackfruit and top with avocado slices, red onion slices, some cilantro, a squeeze of lime juice, or favorite taco toppings.