Integral Yoga is the complete Yoga that integrates all aspects of life and maintains our natural condition of an easeful body, peaceful mind and useful life. For over thirty years, students from all over the world have come to spend one month in residence to participate in our renowned Yoga Teacher Certification program.
Interview with a graduate of Integral Yoga Hatha Advanced Teacher Training
How to Become a Certified Yoga Teacher? What’s involved?
Teaching from direct, personal experience is the most effective. Our Yoga Teacher Training Certification Programs offer you the experience of living the teachings of Yoga and present the necessary tools enabling you to, in turn, pass these great teachings on to others. Immerse yourself in the Integral Yoga Teacher Certification program to experience the Yogic lifestyle and transform your body, mind and spirit. Our Residential Yoga Training (RYT) programs offer supportive and nurturing environment for practice and study away from the distractions of everyday life.
Integral Yoga Teacher Training – Basic Hatha Yoga, is a comprehensive, month-long program that teaches you the skills necessary to instruct Integral Yoga Hatha Beginners I. This basic class, taught to thousands of students at Integral Yoga Institutes and around the world, is utilized by Dr. Dean Ornish in his groundbreaking work in reversing heart disease. The Beginners I class consists of asanas (Yoga poses), deep relaxation, pranayama (breathing practices), chanting, and meditation. You will receive certification to teach all aspects of the Level 1 class.
The Integral Yoga approach is suitable for people of all levels, from complete beginners to advanced, experienced practitioners. It is taught in an easeful, highly meditative manner that allows the student to progress at a pace that is natural to them. The student is guided to a deep level of physical and mental well-being, vitality, and relaxation, promoting flexibility, strength, and health for the entire system.
What You Will Learn
Upon completion of the Integral Yoga Teacher Training, you will be certified to teach the level you have studied. Learn how to give clear, concise instructions for each posture, know the benefits, and how to lead students in deep relaxation, breathing practices, chanting and meditation. You will also study and practice the different aspects of Integral Yoga, including meditation, breathing practices, chanting, selfless service, Yoga philosophy, and more. Upon completion of the course, you will have the necessary knowledge and experience and be certified to teach a Hatha Yoga class with confidence and ease.
What Makes Integral Yoga Unique?
Integral Yoga is a complete science that cultivates and maintains the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual health of the individual. The non-competitive approach and meditative exploration of the practices of Integral Yoga create an indrawn awareness allowing the student to come in touch with deeper and more subtle aspects of their being.
Our comprehensive yoga teacher training certification programs provide a strong foundation for personal and spiritual development, an appreciation for nurturing your own practice and the skills for you to become a knowledgeable and professional Yoga Teacher. The Integral Yoga teacher training process naturally fosters the sensitivities to help you create a safe environment where your students will feel free to realize their own potential, gaining respect for themselves and a greater capacity to be of service to others.
The Integral Yoga® system of Hatha Yoga is utilized by Dr. Dean Ornish in his book, Dr. Dean Ornish’s Program for Reversing Heart Disease.
The primary prerequisite is interest in learning the Integral Yoga approach to teaching Hatha Yoga. Students do not need to be experts in any aspect of Yoga, but they do need to have a well-established Hatha Yoga practice that has been consistent for at least six months. It is suggested for those unfamiliar with Integral Yoga Hatha to take some basic Integral Yoga Hatha classes preferably at an Integral Yoga Institute, Center, or from an Integral Yoga teacher. Information on Integral Yoga teachers in your area can be obtained from the online Teachers Directory or by contacting the Integral Yoga Teachers Association at (434) 969 3121 ext. 177. If this is not possible, you may purchase the DVD, Yoga With a Master or the Integral Yoga Hatha I CD from Shakticom and practice with that.
The curriculum includes the following:
- In-depth study and practice of Hatha Yoga
- A thorough grounding in the fundamentals of all branches of Yoga
- The underlying philosophy, psychology and practices of Integral Yoga
- Workshops to deepen your personal practices
- Classes in diet, nutrition, anatomy and physiology
- An introductory course in Raja Yoga, the science of the mind
- Study and practice of the other branches of Integral Yoga:
- Jnana Yoga: The path of discrimination or self-analysis, inquiry into the nature of the Self, and witnessing the mind
- Bhakti Yoga: The path of devotion, which includes chanting, worship, and self-surrender
- Karma Yoga: The path of dedicated action and selfless service
- Guidance on teaching special-needs populations in a variety of settings
- The basics of setting up and publicizing your classes.
The daily schedule is very full; it is designed to help you fully realize the benefits of the Yoga practices and to offer you the optimum environment in which to study and learn. Each day begins with meditation at 6:00 am, followed by a Hatha Yoga class. During the day, you will have training courses, workshops, practice sessions, a noon meditation at the beautiful LOTUS Temple, and some free time.
The philosophy is that our diet would support our Yoga practices. You will enjoy three healthy vegetarian meals daily, served buffet style, with a salad bar. The diet includes simple, deliciously prepared fresh vegetables, whole grains, legumes, tofu, and some dairy. No meat, fish or eggs are served.
Integral Yoga Teachers Association (IYTA)
The Integral Yoga Teachers Association is a membership association open to all Integral Yoga teachers. Its mission is to provide mutual support and spiritual fellowship, to share information, and to conduct on-going training and guidance. Each graduate of the Integral Yoga Teacher Training – Basic Hatha Yoga – receives a complimentary six month IYTA membership. Take advantage of your membership benefits:
- IYTA Forum: Communicate with other IY Teachers via email and Facebook Groups
- Quarterly newsletter: Stay connected with your sangha through articles, stories and updates. Back issues available electronicaly from the IYTA web page
- Members area of the IYTA web page (new features coming soon!)
- Magazine Discounts Integral Yoga Magazine: Our own glorious magazine and annual calendar; Yoga Journal; Yoga + Joyful Living
- Access to low cost liability insurance
- Discounts: Integral Yoga Distribution, Integral Yoga Teacher Training, Integral Yoga Guest Stays, Integral Yoga Support Staff and LYT Programs, Shakticom, 25% clothing discount with Swadeshi, and Membership with International Association of Yoga Therapists
- Access the tools to support you as a Yoga teacher
- Teachers Notebook
- Membership access in the Yogaville Federal Credit Union
- The Integral Yoga Academy is one of the most experienced and respected schools for yoga teacher training in the world. We started training yoga teachers in 1966 in New York. Since then we have greatly expanded our teacher training programs to include more advanced, therapeutic, and trainings geared toward specific populations and needs. People come from all over the world to Satchidananda Ashram to immerse themselves in the yogic teachings and lifestyle, leaving not just as better yoga teachers, but as more radiant yogis.
For further information about all of our yoga teacher trainings, costs and dates please download and read the application for the session you are interested in attending or call ARC at 1-800-858-9642.
Sri Swami Satchidananda described Integral Yoga as: … a flexible combination of specific methods to develop every aspect of the individual: physical, intellectual, and spiritual. It is a system which integrates the various branches of Yoga in order to bring about a complete and harmonious development of the individual.