Yoga Alliance Hrs: 55 (approximate) RYT 500
Learn to teach yoga to special-needs children. This comprehensive training program provides the essential tools for working with children with special needs. Using hands-on instruction, Sonia (Sivakami) Sumar, guides program participants through each stage of the special child’s development. Topics include: how to evaluate infants and children, how to create the optimum home environment and how to work with specific syndromes and disorders. Designed for parents, special education teachers, massage therapists and Yoga teachers, it is also appropriate for the continuing education of nurses, physical therapists and occupational therapists.
The one-week certification program incorporates the following:
- Specific techniques for evaluating infants and children
- The different components of interacting and bonding with infants/children
- The components of Yoga Therapy
- The description of the physiological/psychological benefits
- The four stages of development:
- 1) Preparatory Stage (birth – 6 months)
- 2) Inductive Stage (6 months – 1 year)
- 3) Interactive Stage (1 – 2 years)
- 4) Imitative Stage (2 – 3 years)
- Videos and/or working with children 3 – 12 years old
- Relaxation techniques
- Yoga for adolescents and young adults
- Challenge of adolescents
- Consultation with parents
This course is available to anyone with an interest in working with this population. We recommend that all students not trained through Integral Yoga familiarize themselves with the IY method of teaching Hatha Yoga by taking classes at an Integral Yoga Institute or from an IY teacher. Information on IY teachers in your area can be obtained from the online Teachers Directory at www.iyta.org or by contacting the Integral Yoga Teachers Association at 434-969-3121, ext. 177. If this is not possible, you may purchase the DVDs Yoga with a Master or Intermediate Yoga Class with Swami Asokananda from (Shakticom) at www.shakticom.org Tel: 434-969-1347.
Also recommended is the CD or audiotape Guided Relaxation by Sri Swami Satchidananda.
At the end of the course, graduates receive a diploma certifying them to teach Hatha Yoga to Children with Special Needs.
Integral Yoga may award approximately 55 hours towards Yoga Alliance registration with the completion of this course.
Sivakami Sonia Sumar, E-RYT 500, is internationally known for her pioneering work using Yoga therapy with special children. She has owned and directed centers for Yoga for the Special Child™ in Chicago and in Brazil, where she achieved remarkable results working with children who have Down Syndrome and other challenges. She travels extensively, conducting workshops and training programs throughout the United States, Portugal and South America. She is also the author of the book Yoga for the Special Child.
- September 18-25, 2015
- Tuition: $985.00
- Lodging: $315.00 to $705.00
- Deposit: $500.00
- $100.00 Early bird discount until June 22, 2015