- September 18-25, 2015
- Tuition: $985.00
- Lodging: $315.00 to $760.00
- Deposit: $500.00
or IYacademy@ yogaville.org.
with Sivakami Sonia Sumar, E-RYT 500
Official time for check-in: 4 pm and check-out: 2 pm
This comprehensive seven-day training program provides a program of Yoga therapy for children with special needs. Using hands-on instruction, Sonia (Sivakami) Sumar, guides program participants through each stage of the special child’s development.
Expand your practice by learning how to:
- Evaluate infants
- Use various techniques for interacting and bonding with children
- Apply the physiological/psychological benefits of Yoga
- Work with specific syndromes and disorders
- Create an optimum home environment
- Conduct consultations with parents
This course is designed for parents, special education teachers, massage therapists, and Yoga teachers; it is also appropriate for the continuing education of nurses, physical therapists and occupational therapists.
Prerequisites: Participants need not be Yoga teachers to attend. Parents may bring children and caregivers.
- Yoga Alliance (YA): Approximately 55 contact hours
- International Association of Yoga Therapists (IAYT): Approximately 55 contact hours
- Healthcare and Related Disciplines: Although CMEs are not offered, a certificate documenting CE hours may be available for your discipline. Please contact CEU@iyta.org for details.
The one-week certification program also explores and incorporates the following:
- The components of Yoga Therapy
- The four stages of development:
- 1) Preparatory Stage (birth–six months)
- 2) Inductive Stage (6 months–one year)
- 3) Interactive Stage (one–two years)
- 4) Imitative Stage (two–three years)
- Videos and/or working with children ages three to twelve
- Relaxation techniques
- Yoga for adolescents and young adults
- Challenges of adolescents
Certification: At the end of the course, graduates receive a diploma certifying them to teach Hatha Yoga to Children with Special Needs.
About the Presenter
Sivakami Sonia Sumar, E-RYT 500, is internationally known for her pioneering work using Yoga therapy with special children. She owns and directs centers for Yoga for the Special Child™ in Chicago and in Brazil, where she achieves remarkable results working with children who have Down Syndrome and other challenges.
She travels extensively, conducting workshops and training programs throughout the United States, Portugal and South America. She is also the author of the book Yoga for the Special Child.