Curried Spinach and Potatoes
1. Prepare and put aside
• Spinach, 2 pounds, washed, trimmed, and minced
• Potatoes, 2 pounds, peeled and diced small
2. Saute in dutch oven until seeds turn grey and “pop”
• Ghee* or Oil, 2 Tablespoons
• Brown Mustard Seed, 1 teaspoon
3. Add and continue to saute 2 more minutes
• Cumin Seed, whole, 1 teaspoon
• Coriander Seed, ground, 1 teaspoon
• Nutmeg, ground, 1 teaspoon
• Turmeric, 1 teaspoon
• Serrano Chili Pepper, seeded and minced, 1
4. Add to this mixture and simmer 10 minutes
• Water, 2 cups and Potatoes from above
5. When Potatoes are cooked firm, add
• Spinach from above
6. Continue cooking all gently another little while until vegetables are well done, adding more water if necessary to maintain a little sauce.
*Ghee is clarified butter.
Melt 2 pounds unsalted butter in small, heavy saucepan, over very low heat, being careful not to let it brown. Do not stir. Skim foam off top periodically. After 30 to 45 minutes, pour clear butterfat off through cheesecloth-lined strainer, into small bowl, leaving solids in bottom of pan.
Ghee will keep, refrigerated, for many months.